Sunday, September 10, 2017

What a great first week in projects!

It was a good week.  I have loved working with and getting to know these fourth graders better.  What a great group of kids.  I have especially enjoyed reading the get to know you papers you filled out for me.  It looks like we have a class full of kids who really care about others and want to do good things.  I can't wait to see what is in store this year!

Our first day was filled with procedures, expectations, and get to know you activities.  On Tuesday and Wednesday we explored the tribe agreements with discussion and group activities.  We have talked about Mutual Respect, Attentive Listening and Appreciations/No Put downs.  These agreements aren't so much rules, as behaviors we agree to demonstrate to make our classroom the best it can be.  I have already noticed appreciations being used among the students.  It warms my heart.  We did acrostic poems of our names to decorate our binders with.  We found its hard to come up with adjectives that start with certain letters! However, we have pretty creative minds in our room and we were able to come up with some pretty great descriptors.

This next week we are starting our first project.  The focus this trimester will be Nevada.  I can't wait.  I kind of love Nevada!

Our specials for the next 9 weeks is Youth Positive with Mr. Lennon.  I'm not sure what this all entails, but if its anything like last year the kids love it.  On Thursday they were sent home with a fingerprint poem paper.  I believe they were asked to write about themselves filling in the spaces that will create the image of a fingerprint.  I have seen these done before and they are pretty cool looking.  Please don't feel pressure to have these completed, just do the best you can.

Also, picture day is tomorrow!  I sent picture packets home on Thursday.  I know there are few extra in the classroom if one is needed.

Please let me know your concerns or if you have questions.  I am looking forward to getting to know you parents also!


This is just a little video from the first day of school.