Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Jan 4th-7th

Hello 4th Grade Families!
This last week in math was all about multiplication. As you may have noticed, I posted some videos last week. These were two of the strategies that we have learned for multiply multi-digit numbers. The first is the area model. With the area model we use our knowledge of area combined with our knowledge of place value to help us multiply these larger numbers. The second is partial product. In this strategy we take each number and break it down by place value and multiply each place one step at a time. Once we get the products for each step, we can then combine all these 'partial products' to get our total product. If you haven't watched these videos they are a great resource not only for you to see what your students are learning but they are good for your students to watch when they are having trouble with homework and need a review. This week we are focusing on division and using the same strategies, just for division. Here are some videos for those:
First we started by using base ten blocks to give us a hands on understanding of division:

Next we'll be using the area model:


We'll also be learning partial quotient:



Hopefully these videos will help you better understand what your student is learning in class. And as always, if you have any questions feel free to ask me!

As for the report cards, please contact me if you have any questions on those. Since I was not here for the first quarter, if you are interested in meeting with me to discuss your student's progress in math I would love to schedule a meeting. I also have had some questions about assessments and when they would be sent home. I actually keep most everything to help guide my instruction as well as for evidence during conferences. But if you are interested in seeing any assessments I have given so far just let me know and you can either stop by school and check them out or I can make copies of them and send them home. 

Thanks and have a wonderful week!